Pitt Training Camp opens today! Training camp storylines – the obvious and the not-so-obvious.
Pitt Press Release- Pitt head football coach Pat Narduzzi announced that five players will not be members of the active roster due to medical conditions when training camp opens on Monday, August 8. These players include:
• Junior defensive lineman Justin Moody will no longer play due to a non-football related cervical spine condition. Moody, who lettered the past two years at defensive tackle, will remain with the program as a student assistant.
• Incoming freshman defensive back George Hill was found to have a pre-existing cardiac condition that disqualifies him from participating. Hill will remain with the program on scholarship as a permanent medical exemption.
• Incoming freshman defensive lineman Zack Gilbert will be held out this season for a cardiac condition. Gilbert will remain with the program and his opportunity for future participation will be reevaluated after the season.
• Sophomore tight end Chris Clark will sit out the year after undergoing offseason knee surgery. Clark, who transferred to Pitt from UCLA this past January, will redshirt this season and have three years of eligibility remaining.
• Sophomore offensive lineman Mike Grimm underwent offseason hip surgery and will be out for the year.
“Each of these young men are very passionate about the game of football and our heart goes out to them,” Narduzzi said. “Although they will not be able to play this fall, each of them will remain an active and important part of our family. They are, and will always be, Panthers. We are going to make sure they continue to benefit from a University of Pittsburgh education and being an important member of our football program.”