Pittsburgh—On a humid afternoon in Station Square, the Pittsburgh Riverhounds defeat the Wilmington Hammerheads 2-1 at Highmark Stadium. Entering the match at half time, Mike Seth wasted little time to put his mark on the game with a goal in the 52nd minute. Likewise, a Hammerheads second half substitute, Kyle Greig, equalized twenty minutes later off a corner that was not cleared by the Riverhounds. In the 79th minute, Seth played the set-up man on the game-winning goal by Matt Dallman.

The game started with the Hammerheads seeing the better of the play following the opening whistle. The visitors nearly capitalized on two quality services one minute apart. Receiving a corner in the 8th minute, Danny Roberts delivered a cross towards the penalty spot for Gareth Evans. Fighting off his marker, Evans turned the ball towards the Riverhounds goal with his head, but his attempt missed just right of the upright.

The ensuing goal kick was picked up by the Hammerheads at midfield by Paul Nicholson. Freeing the ball to the right flank, Nicholson found Shawn Nicklaw behind the Riverhounds defense. Nicklaw served an early, right-footed service into the penalty area for Roberts. Rising above the crowd, Roberts headed the ball towards the left upright, but his header sailed wide of the goal.

The Riverhounds had two dangerous services of their own, five minutes apart. Outside back, Mike Green changed the point of attack for Dallman on the right flank. Dallman served the ball across the goal mouth for Jose Angulo. As the service came down for Angulo, a Hammerheads defender deflected the ball just enough for Angulo to miss-hit the ball wide of the goal in the 22nd minute.

A combination between Rob Vincent and Darren Amoo, freed the striker on the left flank. Driving the ball across the goal mouth on the ground, the ball trickled by the Riverhounds attackers and Hammerheads defenders and out for a goal kick.

Head Coach Justin Evans inserted Stefan Lundberg, Seth C’deBaca, and Seth into the game to start the second half. The substitutions paid dividends seven minutes later when C’deBaca found Seth at the back post to tap home from one yard out. Angulo drove inside from right-to-left and attempted a shot on goal. A Hammerheads defender denied the shot with a slide tackle, but the ball bounced directly back to Angulo. Seeing C’deBaca run past his marker to his right, Angulo played a soft volley to C’deBaca. Picking his head up to see his options, C’deBaca saw Seth and delivered a perfect for an easy tap in.

The Hammerheads came to even terms in the 72nd minute, when the Riverhounds failed to clear their lines on a corner. The Hammerheads service bounced off of multiple players from both sides, but Cody Arnoux turned the ball back on goal for a slashing Greig. Taking a first time attempt, Greig’s shot from close range deflected off of Riverhounds goalkeeper, Hunter Gilstrap and into the back of the net.

Seven minutes later, the Riverhounds would find the game-winner when Dallman would slot a shot home from a hard angle. Chasing down a service in the left corner, Seth turned back inside to free himself off his marker. Delivering a cross to the near post, Seth’s service deflected off a Hammerheads defender and towards goalkeeper Troy Hernandez. Continuing his run, Dallman beat Hernandez to the ball and touched it to his left. Seeing Hernandez off of position, Dallman passed the ball into the back of the empty net for his second of the season.

Angulo nearly added an insurance goal with ten minutes remaining on a brilliant individual effort. Driving with speed past two Hammerhead defenders, Angulo provided himself with time and space. Setting up his favorite left foot, Angulo rifled a shot past Hernandez, but his attempt would strike the upright and ricochet out of danger.

The Riverhounds return to action next Saturday on the road against Toronto FC Reserves. The game is scheduled for a 4:30 p.m. kickoff at BMO Field. The Hammerheads return to North Carolina for a Friday night game against VSI Tampa Bay FC. Their game is slated for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff at Legion Stadium.

Posted in Sports Talk Radio