Pittsburgh—On a gorgeous night in Station Square, the Pittsburgh Riverhounds fall to the Charlotte Eagles 3-2 at a ‘sold out’ Highmark Stadium. The Riverhounds took the lead twice in the first half with goals from Darren Amoo and Andrew Marshall, but the Eagles Jorge Herrara and Nate Thorton would answer just minutes later. The Eagles win snaps the Riverhounds 10-game undefeated streak.

The Riverhounds came out with a flurry of chances following the opening whistle, but the Eagles goalkeeper, Eric Reed, came up with multiple big saves throughout the match. The game’s first goal came in the 15th minute when Riverhounds Rob Vincent changed the point of attack to find Matt Dallman on the right flank. Driving with pace to the corner, Dallman cut inside his marker and tiptoed the end line to prepare his body for a cross to Amoo trailing the play. Dallman delivered the ball to back towards the penalty spot and Amoo tucked the ball past Reed.

The Eagles equalized on a set piece 25 yards from the goal two minutes later. A consistent threat on restarts, Herrara bent a right-footed shot around the wall and passed Riverhounds diving goalkeeper, Hunter Gilstrap.

The Riverhounds continued to push forward with pace and numbers, recording 11 shots in the first half. In the 40th minute, the Riverhounds would convert off of a corner kick from Dallman. Delivering a cross to the back post, Dallman’s service would find the head of Marshall rising above the scrum. Marshall headed the ball down and past Reed for his first goal of the season.

With only seconds to go in the first half, the Eagles would draw even with the Riverhounds at two. A quality combination between Christian Meza and Juan Guzman at the edge of the penalty area would free Meza at the end line. Chasing the ball down, Meza delivered a left-footed cross to the near post for a slashing Nate Thornton. Gilstrap dove to his right to smother the ball, but Thornton flicked the ball past him and into the net.

The pace of the game slowed down in the second half, as the heat began to take its toll on the players. The Eagles would score off of another set piece in the 72nd minute. Stephen Okai drove the ball towards the penalty spot and into a crowd. The ball struck the top of Marshall’s head and flicked past Gisltrap for an own goal.

Despite out-shooting the Eagles 15-4 in the game, the Riverhounds could not find the equalizer in the remaining minutes of play.

The Riverhounds return to Highmark Stadium this Saturday to host the L.A. Blues. The game is scheduled for a 7:00 p.m. kickoff. The Eagles travel to New York to meet the Rochester Rhinos on Saturday night. The game is scheduled for a 7:05 p.m. start at Sahlen’s Stadium.

Posted in Sports Talk Radio

Leave a Reply