Chris Peak and the PantherLair Show on ACC Standings, Pitt needs rhythm on offense.
NOW-Pitt vs. Notre Dame Saturday at Noon.-from Pitt PR Staff
• Pitt and Notre Dame renew ties for the 70th time when the Panthers host their historic rival for a noon ABC national telecast at Heinz Field. Pitt owns a 6-2 mark, its best start since 2009. The Irish are 7-1 and ranked as high as No. 8 this week.
• The Panthers are looking to bounce back from a 26-19 loss to ACC foe North Carolina. The defeat halted a four-game winning streak for Pitt. Notre Dame visits Pittsburgh having won its last three games following a two-point loss at undefeated Clemson (Oct. 3).
• Close games and dramatic finishes have been the rule for Pitt and Notre Dame in recent years. The past six meetings have been decided by an average of 4.5 points. Two of those contests have gone to overtime.
• Pitt is 5-2 in games decided by single digits this year. The Panthers were 1-5 in single-digit contests last season.
• All-America candidate Tyler Boyd needs just 49 receiving yards to become Pitt’s all-time leader in that category. Boyd enters the Notre Dame game with 3,013 career yards, second only to Antonio Bryant (3,061 from 1999-2001) at Pitt.
• Tyler Boyd is already Pitt’s career receptions leader with 226. Boyd is the ACC’s active career leader and ranks second nationally with 6.85 catches per game.
• Quarterback Nate Peterman is completing 67.4% of his passes this season, the second-best percentage in the ACC and 15th nationally. Peterman has thrown 151 consecutive passes without an interception dating back to the first half at Iowa (Sept. 19).
• This season marks the 40-year anniversary of Tony Dorsett’s legendary 303-yard rushing game against Notre Dame in 1975. Dorsett’s incredible effort sparked the Panthers to a 34-20 win over the Irish at Pitt Stadium.
Pitt and Notre Dame meet for the 70th time in a series that dates back to 1909…the Irish lead the all-time series by a 47-21-1 count…Pitt and Notre Dame have split the past eight meetings with each team winning four times since 2004…close contests have been the norm for most of the past decade…nine of the past 10 games have been decided by single digits…in the last meeting, Pitt edged the Irish, 28-21, at Heinz Field in 2013…Pitt’s 2013 win snapped a three-game series losing streak and gained a measure of revenge for its 2012 loss, a 29-26 heartbreaker in three overtimes at Notre Dame…the Panthers are 11-26-1 at home and 10-21 on the road against Notre Dame…Pitt’s longest winning streak in the series is three games, achieved three separate times (1932-34; 1958-60; 1983, ‘86-87)…Notre Dame’s longest winning streak against Pitt is 11 games, which occurred from 1964-74…that streak was snapped in 1975 when Pitt defeated the Irish, 34-20, behind 303 rushing yards from Tony Dorsett…the 303 yards remain a Notre Dame opponent record…in four games against the Irish (1973-76), Dorsett rushed for 754 yards, an NCAA record for a player against a four-year opponent…the Pitt-Notre Dame series is long on history and color…on Nov. 13, 1999, the Panthers defeated Notre Dame, 37-27, in the final game ever played at Pitt Stadium…Pittsburgh product Kevan Barlow scored two TDs, including the game’s final score on a two-yard run to close down the 74-year-old structure…the 2008 game at Notre Dame was an instant classic…the Panthers clawed back from a 17-3 halftime deficit to defeat the Irish, 36-33, in four overtimes…the four-overtime affair marked the longest game in both Pitt and Notre Dame history…the ‘08 game also marked the Panthers’ second consecutive victory at Notre Dame Stadium…in its prior visit to South Bend (2004), Pitt beat the Irish, 41-38, behind five touchdown passes from Tyler Palko, an unprecedented achievement against Notre Dame.
SERIES IN BRIEF
Series Began: 1909
Series Overall: ND leads 47-21-1
At Pittsburgh: ND leads 26-11-1
At Notre Dame: ND leads 21-10
At Neutral Sites: DNA
OT Games: Series tied, 1-1
Last Meeting at Pitt: Nov. 9, 2013 (Pitt 28, Notre Dame 21)
Last Meeting at ND: Nov. 3, 2012 (Notre Dame 29, Pitt 26, 3OT)
Current Series Streak: Pitt has won 1 (2013)
Longest Pitt Series Win Streak: 3 games (three times, last: 1983, ‘86-87)
Longest Notre Dame Series Win Streak: 11 games (1964-74)
Largest Pitt Victory Margin: 26 points (26-0, 1936)
Largest Notre Dame Victory Margin: 58 points (58-0, 1944)
Television • ABC (WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh)
Sean McDonough, play-by-play
Chris Spielman, analyst
Todd McShay, reporter