The Pirates (19-26) won a shootout last night at PNC Park over the Orioles, not a typo, the offense showed up big. Here’s what I took from it:
- The Pirates couldn’t have asked for a better scenario last night. Wandy Rodriguez was awful and they still won. Which should mean that Brandon Cumpton will be called up to replace him soon.
- 2013 Melancon was in the building last night. Ten pitches, 2 strikeouts, game over. The Pirates need that to continue if they’re going to climb out of the hole they’ve dug for themselves.
- Andrew McCutchen is batting .364 this month, his average for the season is up to .317, and somehow he will have to do more if this team is going to make any noise this year.
- Pirates are 0-5 this season after scoring 7 or more runs to win a game. So, don’t expect too much from them tonight against the Nationals. Not a good sign with Volquez on the mound.
- Honoring the 1979 World Series team on a Wednesday night was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. It was embarrassing. There were about 10,000 people there for the ceremony. The Pirates organization should be ashamed. I get that the Pirates were playing the Orioles, but once the schedule was out and it said Wednesday, they should have switch it up to Saturday and made it an event! Instead they made the most beloved team in Pittsburgh sports history look like the local opening act at a rap concert.
- BONUS: Unless Gregory Polanco comes to Pittsburgh and puts up “Puig numbers” in June, he won’t be as valuable as Jameson Taillon could have been to this team.
I’m out, listen to the Pittsburgh Sports Depot show with me, Daniel Dudley, from 3-5pm on TribLIVE Radio!