YO! Daniel Dudley here to recap the weekend in sports. Here are the 10 things that stood out to me:
- Pens won 3-0 over the Rangers to tie the series at 1-1. Every player in the locker room and Dan Bylsma thought it was the best game they’ve played all season. Honestly, I’m still not sure if New York quit and hung Lundqvist out to dry, or if the Penguins were actually that good on Sunday night.
- Crosby had a great game but didn’t score a goal, Malkin leads the Pens in points, and Letang played like he was worth $7 million a year. That’s what you’ll hear today. But the best thing that came out of Game 2, was the Neal-Sutter-Jokinen line. If Bylsma is going to use the top-heavy “superstar line” w/ Sid and Geno, those guys must produce and they did.
- Pirates proved this weekend that they are not the worst team in baseball, and that’s about it. If the Blue Jays had a bullpen they would have been swept this weekend. It’s going to be a long summer.
- When Starling Marte hit his walk-off home run on Friday night, he flipped his bat, stared down the pitcher, and walked a few steps up the first base line. You all loved it. So, explain this to me folks, when Brewers’ CF, Carlos Gomez did the same thing (minus the homer) why was it acceptable to act like 4th graders, cry, and fight?
- Not watching the NBA Playoffs? #SlapYourself! There were five game seven’s, Kevin Durant silenced his critics, for now, and the second round is setting up to be something special! All four teams in the west (Thunder, Blazers, Clippers, Spurs) could go to the NBA Finals and win it. Also, the Heat could go down to Brooklyn in this round.
- California Chrome, the Kentucky Derby winner was bought for $8,000, three years ago. The Owner of the horse pocketed $2 million this weekend. Good investment, eh?
- The Bruins, Canadiens series is tied 1-1. Boston should be up 2-0, they’ve outplayed them so bad in both games its crazy. I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if this series ended in five games
- Speaking of Boston, releasing a statement after the twitter storm of racist remarks caused by PK Subban’s game winner on Thursday night was dumb. When you give attention to twitter thugs, they just get worse, and during Saturday’s game it was.
- Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, will be out of our lives at this time next week!
- You can debate all day long about Floyd Mayweather (46-0) being the best ever (or “TBE” like he calls himself) or not. One thing you can’t debate is that when he fights it feels like a holiday. In the DVR world that we live in there is nothing that I feel the NEED to watch live, except a Mayweather fight. He has three fights left, I suggest that you watch one of them before he retires next September. Because there won’t be another boxer like “Money” for a long time.
Welp, that’s it. Listen to my show Monday-Friday from 6-8pm on TribLIVE Radio!
Hit me on Twitter: @DD_TribLIVE